FOOD QUALITY AND SAFETY
Principal Investigator: Maria Lurdes Pinho Almeida Souteiro Bastos
Research Area: Chemistry
The know-how and experience of the REQUIMTE in the area of Food Science enabled us to consider that, at the National level, the Associate Laboratory is a reference. Within this theme we committed to play the following roles:
• Support of the Official Organisms in what concerns the development of analytical methodologies for new species and new products.
• Collaborate with the Regulatory Organisms in the elaboration of Quality and safety food rules.
• Participate in inter-laboratory programs of analytical methodologies validation.
• Support the national programs of food quality products examination.
• Support to the implementation of screening methodologies of pharmaceutical residues and their metabolites.
• Participate in inter-laboratorial tests involving laboratories of several European countries leading to the implementation of certificate materials.
• Create process diagrams for detection of critical points through all the steps of food processing (HACCP), with relevance to microbiological control.
• Support the development of microbiological methodologies for characterization of pathogenic agents, using classic and novel methodologies that enable quick microorganism detection (PCR and DNA probes).