ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL AND (BIO)REMEDIATION
Principal Investigator: José João Galhardas Moura
Research Area: Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology
To interact in a interdisciplinary way (biotechnology, chemistry, environment and agro-industries) in problems with environmental impact (remediation and bioremediation).
Significant activity developed:
• Analysis of complex chemical mixtures using advanced analytical techniques (AAS-EA, ICP-MS, GC-MS, HPLC-MS, AA and DNA sequencing, NMR, EPR, X Ray Diffraction, Mass spectrometry).
• Development of automatic analysis methods (control equipment prototypes), and detection methods for analytical purposes (fast, clean and reliable)
• Building of potentiometric (bio)sensors and voltametric transducers for chemical monitoring and clinical diagnosis and of chemical sensors based on supramolecular (photo) chemistry
• Enzymatic and microbial turnover of raw materials and waste into added value compounds
• Energy bioconversion (hydrogen and methane)
The Associate Laboratory is a reference in the area of Environmental Control. These infrastructures are an operative base that commits the Associate Laboratory in this thematic area, comprising a wide range of duties and performances.
• Chemical and Biochemical Engineering
• Biochemistry and Biophysics
• Analytical Chemistry
• Physical and Inorganic Chemistry