Main research interests
- To understand the epidemiology and evolution of antibiotic resistance in different environments;
- To understand the role of community reservoirs (animal, environment, food chain) in the selection and dissemination of Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria/genes of clinical interest.
- To understand the role of non-antibiotic compounds (e.g. disinfectants, metals) in the dynamics of antibiotic resistance, namely selection of particular successful clones and epidemic genetic elements (plasmids and integrative chromosomal elements).
- To understand if successful genetic elements involved in horizontal transfer of genes coding for antibiotic resistance and biocide tolerance carry other adaptive features promoting the host colonization, using a detailed genetic characterization.
- PhD in Microbiology, Pharmacy Faculty (2005)
- Graduation in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pharmacy Faculty. Porto University (2000)