The Biochemical Engineering (BIOENG) group is devoted to develop high quality scientific research (both fundamental and applied) in the areas of Industrial and Environmental Biotechnology with main focus on: Micropollutants, Biological Nutrient Removal and Recovery; Greenhouse Gas Emissions; Production and Characterization of Polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHAs), Microbial Polysaccharides and Bulk Chemicals.
Advanced Filtration TEchnologies for the Recovery and Later conversIon of relevant Fractions from wastEwater
AFTERLIFE is a European collaborative project framed on the Bio-based Industries (BBI) call. 15 partners from 7 European countries (Belgium, Germany, Finland, Croatia, Italy, Spain and Portugal) participate in this European €4M project.
The AFTERLIFE project proposes a flexible, cost- and resource-efficient process for recovering and valorizing the relevant fractions from wastewater. It will represent an advance on existing approaches to wastewater treatment, which rely on physic-chemical and biological methods.
The partners at UCIBIO are responsible for the development of a fermentative process for the production of PolyHydroxAlkanoates (PHA) from industrial wastewater.
AFTERLIFE - Process Grant Agreement number: 745737 — AFTERLIFE —H2020-BBIJTI-2016
YPACK - High performance polyhydroxyalkanoates based packaging to minimise food waste
YPACK is a European collaborative project funded under the call: sustainable and competitive agri-food industry. 21 partners from 11 European Union member countries or associated, participate in this European €5.9M project.
YPACK will scale up production and commercially validate two innovative food packaging solutions based on polyhydroxyalkanoate (PHA). The new packaging will make use of food industry by-products (cheese whey and almond shells) assure the biodegradability and recyclability, and reduce food waste, in the frame of the EU Circular Economy strategy.
The partners at UCIBIO will be involved in the production, purification and characterization of PHA at pilot scale using agro-food by products.
YPACK PHA production involving mixed microbial cultures in three-stage process
- “AFTERLIFE: Advanced Filtration TEchnologies for the Recovery and Later conversIon of relevant Fractions from wastewater” EC-H2020, Total funding: €3,9M, Unit funding: €247,000, Maria Reis (Collaborator-PI in Portugal).
- “YPACK: High performance polyhydroxyalkanoates based packaging to minimise food waste” EC-H2020, Total funding: €5,9M, Unit funding: €410,187, Maria Reis (Collaborator-PI in Portugal).
- “NoAW: Innovative approaches to turn agricultural waste into ecological and economic assets” EC-H2020, Total funding: €6,9M, Unit funding: €175,000, Maria Reis (Collaborator-PI in Portugal).
- “RES-URBIS: REsources from URbanBIo-waSte” ECH2020, Total funding: €2,9M, Unit funding: €234,762, Maria Reis (Collaborator-PI in Portugal).
- “GLOPACK: Granting society with LOw environmental impact innovative PACKaging” EC- H2020, Total funding: €5,6M, Unit funding: €335,305, Maria Reis (CollaboratorPI in Portugal).
Abbondanzi, F; Biscaro, G; Carvalho, G; Favaro, L; Lemos, P; Paglione, M; Samori, C; Torri, C. 2017. Fast method for the determination of short-chain-length polyhydroxyalkanoates (scl-PHAs) in bacterial samples by In Vial-Thermolysis (IVT). New Biotechnology, 39, DOI: 10.1016/j.nbt.2017.05.012
Marques, R; Santos, J; Nguyen, H; Carvalho, G; Noronha, JP; Nielsen, PH; Reis, MAM; Oehmen, A. 2017. Metabolism and ecological niche of Tetrasphaera and Ca. Accumulibacter in enhanced biological phosphorus removal. WATER RESEARCH, 122, DOI: 10.1016/j.watres.2017.04.072
Oliveira, CSS; Silva, CE; Carvalho, G; Reis, MA. 2017. Strategies for efficiently selecting PHA producing mixed microbial cultures using complex feedstocks: Feast and famine regime and uncoupled carbon and nitrogen availabilities. New Biotechnology, 37, DOI: 10.1016/j.nbt.2016.10.008
Farinha, I; Freitas, F; Reis, MAM. 2017. Implementation of a repeated fed-batch process for the production of chitin-glucan complex by Komagataella pastoris. New Biotechnology, 37, DOI: 10.1016/j.nbt.2016.06.1460
Gouveia, AR; Freitas, EB; Galinha, CF; Carvalho, G; Duque, AF; Reis, MAM. 2017. Dynamic change of pH in acidogenic fermentation of cheese whey towards polyhydroxyalkanoates production: Impact on performance and microbial population. New Biotechnology, 37, DOI: 10.1016/j.nbt.2016.07.001